The cold season has already arrived in many parts of the country. Here in Frankfort, we’ve had those random over 70° days, but I think that is now behind us!
It’s important to prepare your home for the colder weather coming. Taking a little bit of time to winterize your home can save you a lot of time – and money – later on. Check out these tips for preparing your home for the fall and winter.
1. Check window and door weather stripping for damage.
2. Disconnect water hoses and turn off outdoor water supply lines and irrigation system.
3. Wrap exterior water pipes or hose bibs with heating tape.
4. Clean your gutters.
5. Check your roof for damage or leaks.
6. Fill cracks in your driveway and foundation.
7. Check attic insulation for pest damage.
8. Have your furnace serviced. See my previous blog on HVAC systems for recommendations on companies.
9. Check your chimney for obstructions and make sure your damper is working.
10. Clean and store your lawnmower.
11. Aerate and fertilize your lawn. Check your local Southern States for some great assistance in this area!
12. Change the air filters in your HVAC system.
13. Change smoke detector batteries.
14. Clean and store outdoor furniture.
15. Have landscaping pruned and put fresh mulch down.
16. Bring potted plants inside.
17. Change your ceiling fan direction.
18. Clean humidifiers before using.
19. Check the condition of your pool cover.